Friday, March 16, 2007

300 - An amazing movie

Spoiler Warning: In my excitement about the movie, I might spill out the story of the movie '300'. Though its not a thriller of any sort, but still its good to see the story for yourself. So don't read this post if you don't want to know the story. But I can see that curiosity in your eyes :)

Today is my last day in Virginia. My business trip is over and I have a flight to catch today morning.

My friend(and colleague) and myself decided to watch 300 (the movie) as it was the last working day and we wanted de-stress ourselves. My friend had heard a lot of hype regarding the movie and he was explaining me that during the lunch time break and coincidental we also heard 2 more people talking about it nearby. Now that really triggered it and we decided to see the movie.

My friend informed me that they spent close to 75 million dollars (not sure how much was actually spent) on this. Wow, if that was a real number, then that's lot of money for a movie. So I was really curious now to see this movie.

I don't have the patience to give an overview of this movie. You can read it your self in wikipedia - 300 (film) (quoting a portion of it below)

300 is a 2007 film adaptation of the graphic novel 300 by Frank Miller, itself a loose adaptation about the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC. The film is directed by Zack Snyder with Frank Miller attached as an executive producer and consultant, and was shot mostly with bluescreen to duplicate the imagery of the original comic book work.

Spartan King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fight to the last man against Persian King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) and his normous army of more than one million soldiers. Facing insurmountable odds, the Spartans' sacrifice inspires all of Greece to unite against the Persian invaders. In Sparta, Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) attempts to rally support for her husband. The story is told through narration by Dilios (David Wenham) lending the film a historical fantasy feel.

Well, in simple terms the movie is great. The story, the pace (fast), the visual effects and finally Gerard Butler's acting, everything is just great.

The story is fast paced and gripping. Most of it goes in sword fights in which these 300 greeks have against the invading persian army. Though its very fictional in the sense that 300 people reduce the 1,00,000 strong persian army to just 10,000 (if i am correct). But whatever it is, I liked the story a lot and the movie. Though the movie is a little over 2 hours, you never feel that you been sitting for too long.

A word of caution. Most of them may find the fight scenes very repulsive because of their bloody nature.

Man.. I've become a great fan of Gerard Butler. Nothing great about him nor is he a well-known actor. But he has done his job really well. And I like that.

Well it was a nice way to end the week. I am waiting to go back to Dallas now. Good bye!! Virginia :)

No comments: